Quite a lot of people are curious what fish one can hunt for in Cozumel. That´s why we thought it is a good idea to write something about what fish we spearfish for in Cozumel. Cozumel is GREAT for novice spearos as well as for experienced ones that want that a trophy fish so badly. This is Part 1, Fish in Cozumel.You will be amazed by the number of species found in the Cozumel waters. Reef fish, pelagic fish and so much more animal life that is so beautiful to watch. First things first.
In Cozumel we spearfish outside the marine park and other protected areas. It is a misunderstanding that the waters around the whole island of Cozumel are protected. Only about 1/3 of it is a “no go’ area for fishing.
You can find more information on Cozumel here: https://spearfishingtoday.com/services/spearfishing-cozumel-mexico/
When you join us spearfishing in Cozumel we will show you on a chart the fish in Cozumel. You can expect:
- Various kind of Grouper such as Black Grouper, Nassau Grouper and Tiger Grouper. In spring there is a closure for Grouper.
- Snapper is also present with various species such as Mutton Snapper, Cuber Snapper, Dog Snapper and Schoolmaster Snapper. Big Snapper can be found in shallow areas as well, be prepared…
- Barracuda is very common in Cozumel. And delicious on the grill or in ceviche.
- Mackerel. Mainly Spanish Mackerel is around the island of Cozumel. Fast fish, tough to shoot, delicious sashimi.
- Jacks. Big schools of various Jacks. Amberjack, Horse Eye Jack, Bar Jack, Crevalle Jack. Great for in a salad.
- Ocean Triggerfish. In our opinion the most underestimated fish of Cozumel. Delicious as a filet on the grill.
- Lion fish. A joy to shoot and eat and a good cause for the island.
For the ones that love Hogfish, better cross the channel and join us spearfishing in Playa del Carmen (https://spearfishingtoday.com/product-category/spearfishing-playa-del-carmen/). Hogfish is rare around the island.
On top of these reef fish, we have an interesting range of fish in Cozumel for the more experienced spearfishing enthusiasts:
- Wahoo. Curious, strong and delicious fish.
- Cobia, the most delicious fish of the planet. Be prepared to bend your spear.
- Mahi Mahi / Dolphin fish / Dorado. Big fighting fish to be found in deeper waters but relatively close to the surface. Great to hunt for.
Worth mentioning is other fish in Cozumel that we do NOT spear. We fish for food and respect the Cozumel rules of fishing. While hunting/snorkeling lots of beautiful marine life to enjoy in Cozumel:
- Spotted Eagle-rays, so beautiful and peaceful to watch.
- Dolphins that will swim besides the boat for many minutes.
- Sea turtles swimming next to you.
- Lobster and crab in caves.
- Huge, really huge Parrot Fish.
- Schools of Permit.
- Unbelievable big Nassau Grouper.
- A lot of different reef fish like Angelfish, Pufferfish, Fillet Fish, Seahorse and more.
And… to add some adrenaline during snorkeling, we also encounter Sailfish and Swordfish; sensational to witness when they swim so close to you.
It might not be the most accurate article about fish in Cozumel, but for sure it will give you an rough idea what to expect! Come join us spearfishing in Cozumel: https://spearfishingtoday.com/product-category/spearfishing-cozumel/